New Always Free services enable developers and students to learn, build and get hands-on experience with Oracle Cloud for unlimited time
Oracle recently announced Oracle Cloud Free Tier, including new Always Free services which will enable anyone to try the world’s first self-driving database and Oracle Cloud Infrastructure for an unlimited time.
Oracle’s Always Free Autonomous Database remains free for as long as it is used and Oracle also offers more compute and storage as Always Free services than its competitors do with their free trials, many other hyperscale cloud vendors provide a free 12-month trial of their relational database and then start charging, whereas Always Free is just as the name suggests and will not be charged for.
Always Free services are available in all regions of the world and are available to anyone, including those with paid accounts using Universal Credit pricing and new Free Tier accounts.
Now, organizations large and small, developers, students, and educators can build, learn, and explore the full functionality of Oracle Autonomous Database and Oracle Cloud Infrastructure, including Compute VMs, Block and Object Storage, and Load Balancer—all of the essentials for developers to build complete applications on Oracle Cloud.
The new program enables developers to build applications using any language and framework on top of Oracle Cloud Infrastructure and Autonomous Database. Enterprises can use Free Tier to prototype, prove out new technologies, and do testing before moving production workloads to the cloud.
Oracle also provides a rich set of free developer tools so developers can build and deploy new data-driven applications faster on Oracle Autonomous Database:
- Oracle Application Express (APEX) for low-code Web application development,
- SQL Developer Web for user interaction with the database,
- Machine Learning Notebooks, REST interfaces for easy access and publishing of database data, and drivers for all popular programming languages.
- The Oracle Cloud Developer Image includes the latest tools, choice of development languages, OCI Software Development Kits (SDKs), and database connectors.
- Oracle Cloud Infrastructure resources can all be operated by console, REST APIs, and SDKs, or automated with Terraform.
Educators and students will also be provided with the Oracle Cloud Free Tier through Oracle Academy, Oracle’s global, philanthropic educational program. Starting in early 2020, Oracle Academy Institutional members will enjoy easy signup, and educators will be able to create free accounts for their students. Additionally, Oracle Academy is developing academic curriculum on Oracle Autonomous Database and Oracle APEX.
Oracle’s Free Tier program has two components:
- Always Free services, which provide access to Oracle Cloud services for an unlimited time
- Free Trial, which provides $300 in credits for 30 days to try additional services and larger shapes
The new Always Free program includes the essentials users need to build and test applications in the cloud: Oracle Autonomous Database, Compute VMs, Block Volumes, Object and Archive Storage, and Load Balancer. Specifications include:
- 2 Autonomous Databases (Autonomous Data Warehouse or Autonomous Transaction Processing), each with 1 OCPU and 20 GB storage
- 2 Compute VMs, each with 1/8 OCPU and 1 GB memory
- 2 Block Volumes, 100 GB total, with up to 5 free backups
- 10 GB Object Storage, 10 GB Archive Storage, and 50,000/month API requests
- 1 Load Balancer, 10 Mbps bandwidth
- 10 TB/month Outbound Data Transfer
- 500 million ingestion Datapoints and 1 billion Datapoints for Monitoring Service
- 1 million Notification delivery options per month and 1000 emails per month
Oracle Autonomous Database, the industry’s first and only self-driving database, was designed to run on Oracle’s Gen 2 infrastructure, and just about every database and workload run better in terms of performance, network, and security on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure.
The first of its kind, Oracle Autonomous Database uses ground-breaking machine learning to provide self-driving, self-repairing, and self-securing capabilities. As such, it automates key management and security processes in database systems like patching, tuning and upgrading, all while keeping the critical infrastructure constantly running for a modern cloud experience. Running on Oracle Cloud Infrastructure, Oracle Autonomous Database delivers significantly lower cost than alternatives.
Article extracted from: www.oracle.com